If you plan to build or replace a fence in the public right-of-way, you will need an encroachment permit. In general, fences are limited to a maximum height of 4', with some variations for side and rear fences. For information on fences within the County right-of-way, contact the Public Works permit technician at dpw_permit@smcgov.org . For fences outside of the right-of-way contact Planning & Building.

If you’re unsure whether the fence is on County or private property, we can provide you with that information. Call the Road Maintenance office at (650) 363-4103.

Permit Fees

  • Fences, barriers, landscaping, etc. - $316

Related Permits

You may need a Fence Height Exception from San Mateo County's Planning & Building Department depending on the height of the fence and the materials used. See Planning & Building's Fence Height Exception »