Public Works issues permits to construct, improve, work on or occupy the County's sidewalks and roadways. Any activity by a resident or business that encroaches into the right-of-way of San Mateo County's unincorporated districts, whether it be hanging a banner over a street or performing construction on a driveway or sidewalk, requires a permit.

Some of the more common permit types are listed below. For more information on these and other encroachments please contact our permit technicians at   NOTE: All fees are non-refundable, once the permit is issued.

The fine for working without a permit is $350.00 per day.

COVID-19 Info
Back to Top