Middlefield Road Improvement Project
Construction Plan Two-Week Look Ahead
Description of work occuring over next two weeks (July 26, 2021 to August 6, 2021) and the location:
- Beginning Monday, July 26th until Friday, July 30th a lane closure will be in-place impacting entry and exit into businesses with no access to parking in front of the businesses. Vehicular access to auto repair shops will be allowed. The land closure will take place between 8am until 5pm and business impacts will be minimized as much as feasible.
- Location: Middlefield Road - Northbound between Dumbarton Avenue to Sixth Avenue
- Sanitary sewer mainline construction consisting of asphalt removal, excavator machine digging out dirt, dump truck hauling out materials.
- Location: Middlefield Road - Northside between Dumbarton Avenue to Sixth Avenue
- Refill PG&E trenches after gas line verification completed
- Location: Middlefield Road - Northside between Second Avenue to Fifth Avenue
- Sanitary sewer line construction
- Location: Middlefield Road - Northside, from Dumbarton Avenue to Sixth Avenue
NOTE: work is subject to change at any point due to unforeseen circumstances
Two community meetings were scheduled in June 2021 to provide information to Middlefield Road businesses about the construction project and to answer any questions. Spanish translation was provided at both meetings.
- Thursday, June 24, 2021 at 10:00am outside at the Middlefield Road Mural Parking lot (Middlefield Road and 2nd Avenue)
- Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 10:00am via Zoom
|Existing Image||Proposed Project Rendering|
The Project consists of the following components: roadway improvements including a new traffic signal system near and including the South County Health Clinic (Clinic)/Redwood Junction driveway, pedestrian and bicycle improvements, utility undergrounding, sanitary sewer replacement work, public WiFi along the Project corridor, and replacing the existing streetlights with a new streetlight system. The roadway improvements will reconfigure Middlefield Road between Pacific Avenue and Fifth Avenue from a four-lane roadway to a three-lane roadway (one travel lane in each direction with a center left turn lane) with parallel parking, bike lanes, and wider sidewalks. The wider sidewalks will accommodate the street amenities recommended by the North Fair Oaks Community Council (benches, trees and landscaping, streetlights, trash receptacles, street art, and public spaces) and low-impact development features for stormwater quality management.
The utility undergrounding work will include placing the overhead utility wires underground and removing the existing utility poles between MacArthur Avenue and Fifth Avenue. Construction of new underground utility system will include utility trenches, generally in the new southbound travel lane of Middlefield Road, and utility vaults or boxes in the new sidewalk.
Sanitary sewer replacement work includes replacing the existing sewer lines between Douglas Avenue and Sixth Avenue as part of the Fair Oaks Sewer Maintenance District’s planned capital improvement work.
The Clinic/Redwood Junction driveway work includes relocation and modification of the driveway, replacement and relocation of railroad track signal and equipment, and installation of a new traffic signal system with railroad preemption (connectivity of traffic signals to the railroad signal system and oncoming trains). Modifications required by the Union Pacific Railroad in connection with the traffic signal work include restricting traffic on Northside Avenue to only allow a right turn from Northside Avenue to Middlefield Road. Accessing Northside Avenue from Middlefield Road or turning left from Northside Avenue to Middlefield Road will not be allowed after the Project is completed.
Check out the fly-over animation of the future Middlefield Road (Construction estimated to begin in Spring/Summer 2021)
Construction is underway
Middlefield Road, from south of Douglas Avenue to north of Sixth Avenue, in North Fair Oaks
Estimated Winter 2022
San Mateo County Measure K funds for the Road Improvement work.
SMC Public Works
SMC Office of Community Affairs
SMC Labs /
SMC Information Services Dept.
AECOM: Design and Construction Management
Granite Rock Construction: Construction Contractor
Questions Regarding Construction:
SMC Public Works -
Main Line: 650-363-4100
Available Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
All Other Project-Related Questions:
SMC Office of Community Affairs -
Main Line: 650-363-1800
Available Monday-Friday 8am-5pm